What is this broadcasting fee for? Why did I receive this letter?
German broadcasters (ARD, ZDF, and Deutschlandradio) have a statutory mandate to provide as many people as possible with information, education, advice, and entertainment through their programs every day. In order to be able to fulfill this independently, the broadcasting fee is provided by all households to fund the program.
As you registered to the city’s office, you were recorded as a new member of a household.
Every household in Germany contributes broadcasting fees, regardless of their usage of broadcasting services like radio or TV.
Do not worry about the fee, though, as homefully has got you covered on it. We already pay the fee for each of our Community’s shared flats. You will still need to register and define homefully as the paying member of your household, however.
After you received the letter, there are two convenient options for you how to let ARD/ZDF offices know homefully is covering your broadcasting fees (GEZ).
OPTION 1: Fill in the reply form sent with the letter and send it back per post
- Check the reply form (“Antwortbogen”) which is the second or third page of the letter. The third option should be “Ein Mitbewohner zahlt für diese Wohnung bereits Rundfunkgebühr” which roughly translates to “the fee is already paid for by a flatmate”
- Tick off the box, fill in the “Beitragsnummer” 638 587 020 and fill in “homefully GmbH” as “Name des Beitragskontoinhabers” - (roughly translating to “Name of the account holder”)
- Complete the form with the date, signature, and other necessary personal details on the bottom.
- Send the reply form back to the return address. Now the offices know homefully is covering your fees and won't bother you again.
OPTION 2: Fill in the reply form online
- Visit antworten.rundfunkbeitrag.de, you will be led directly to a reply form.
- Fill in the 10-digit “Aktenzeichen” which is found in the header of the letter you received, as well as your “Postleitzahl”/Zip code and click “Weiter”
- Confirm with “Ja” if the address your letter was sent to is correct. You received it, so it probably is ;)
- Choose “Ein Familienangehöriger/Mitbewohner zahlt für diese Wohnung bereits den Rundfunkbeitrag” (roughly translates to “the fee is already paid for by a family member/flatmate) in the drop down menu.
- Fill in the “Beitragsnummer” 638 587 020 and click “Weiter”
- Optional: Fill in your phone number and email address, so you can be contacted for check backs. If everything was filled out correctly there usually are no check backs. Click “Weiter” anyway.
- Double-check the information listed, click “Korrigieren” in case something needs to be corrected.
- Fill in the captcha, click “Absenden” to submit and that’s it! Now the offices know homefully is covering your fees and won't bother you again.