This article contains:
What do I do if I get locked out?
This is definitely an unpleasant situation that can happen to anyone. But don't worry, there are a few options that can save you from this misery as well 🙌
Here are some good tips:
- Did you possibly leave a window or a balcony door open that would be accessible? This would also allow you to gain entry again 🪟
- Contact your flatmates! 📞 If you have the contact information of your flatmates at hand, ask them directly when they will be back home or if they can even come home a little earlier 🙏
- If you don't have any flatmates or they are all away for a few days, you can contact our Community Team during the week from 9:00-18:00 via our Support Center (How?). In most cases, there is a possibility that a homefully team member can open the door for you 🚪 🗝 Please note: Such an unscheduled service will be charged extra. The cost is 90,00€.
- If points 1 and 2 are not possible, you can always contact a local locksmith. The costs have to be paid by the requesting party. If the lock has been damaged during the appointment, please inform us.
- Keep calm - a clear and calm head will give you (creative) ideas that can be helpful🧘💡
What if I lose my key?
In case you lost a key, contact your Community Team to inform us about which key was lost 🗝🔑 🤔
If you lose the key to the front- or flat door, we will try to copy the existing keys. Making the copy can take several (!) weeks, depending on whether it’s part of a security locking system and what security and insurance policies come with this particular key. It might be the case that the entire lock and all flatmates' keys need to be changed as well if you lose your key. Until a copy is made, you need to coordinate with your flatmates on how to enter the flat in the meantime.
If you lose the key to your room, a copy cannot be made for privacy reasons since you are the only person with a key to your room. A locksmith or technician needs to be assigned to break the door open and exchange the lock.
In both cases, all expenses for taken measures will be covered by you.
Anyway, it's essential to keep a good eye on your key and make sure not to lose it! 👀 We recommend using a key chain or key pendant and always keeping it in closed bags or zipped pockets 🎒👜
My key is very difficult/impossible to insert into the lock - What do I do?
Sometimes it happens that a key can no longer be inserted well into the front door/apartment lock, due to everyday use. Here's a pro tip that might fix the problem:
Cleaning the key 🧽🧼
- Put the key in soapy water or put a little liquid soap on a small brush and rub it properly with it. Then rinse well and dry.
- Now rub the entire key with a pencil/graphite pencil, especially the corners and edges.
- Polish with a cloth and try it out.
- If steps 1-3 do not help, then there is still the possibility of cleaning the lock. There are special cleaners (cylinder spray/graphite spray) that can be used for this purpose. Important: Do not use cooking oil or similar!
If the problem still persists after that, contact us. We are happy to help! 🙋♀️
If the key is stuck in the lock or if the lock cannot be unlocked in general, please contact our Community Team (during our business hours from 9:00-18:00 during the week) or, outside business hours and in cases with no other option, a local locksmith (if someone is locked out).
A door lock is broken - Can you help?
Yes, absolutely. Submit a ticket with a brief description of which lock in the flat is concerned, how it happened, etc. Please attach pictures as well so we can solve this even quicker. 📸